A lot of people has formed the habit of holding in their urine for too long which is very dangerous. This act is very much common among ladies, as most times, they find it very difficult to see a safe and convenient place to urinate, unlike guys that can manage to do so even in public places.
It takes the bladder up to 9-10 hours to get filled under normal condition, after which the bladder needs to be emptied. The bladder is an expandable organ and has a line of communication with the brain, receptors will send in information to the brain once the bladder is filled that is when you can feel the urge to urinate.
See Seven (7) things that happens to your body/ Seven (7) Complications of holding in your urine for too long after it us filled.
1) Urinary Tract Infection (U.T.I); Holding in urine, keeps bacteria and germs that should be out of the body retained in the bladder. When it accumulates, it can lead to urinary tract infection which is any disease affecting any part of the urinary system and mostly the lower urinary tract which are the bladder and the urethra.
Signs that you have a urinary tract infection includes;
~ You urinate frequently without passing out much urine.
~ Your urine has a very sharp and strong odour.
~ Your urine is always foamy etc.
In the image above, a is a foamy/cloudy urine while b is a clear urine.
2) Urinary Retention; Urinary retention is a condition in which your bladder doesn’t empty completely even if it’s full and you often feel like you really have to urinate.
Signs of Urinary retention includes;
~ Swelling in the lower abdomen region of the body.
~ Urinate more frequently in a day in a painful manner.
~ An urgent need to urinate with little success when trying to urinate.
3) Incontinence; Urinary incontinence is the involuntary leakage of urine. It means a person urinates when they do not want to. Control over the urinary sphincter is either lost or weakened.
4) A burst bladder; The bladder might be expanded above the elastic limit and could get burst which is a very severe condition
5) Kidney Stones; Kidney stones are hard deposits of minerals and acid salts that stick together in concentrated urine.
6) Pain; Generally, when hold in your urine for two long, you are bound to always experience a sharp and burning abdominal pains which can cause you a lot of discomfort.
To help get the word get out, please consider sharing this link with your friends and on your social media!
Kindly use the social media icon below