1. The J in my title is fictional. When my (first) agent was submitting my debut novel to publishers I grew to become conscious of an American creator referred to as Michael Malone. My debut novel – Blood Tears – had a serial killer in it who was staging his kills to imitate the demise scenes of Catholic saints. The US model of me had a novel out within the UK at the moment – and his serial killer was staging his kills to imitate the demise scenes of Catholic saints. How spooky is that?! So I modified the demise scene factor and added a J to my title.
2. After I was a pre-teen I used to do Highland Dancing. I keep in mind dancing at Burns’ Suppers and St Andrew’s Nights – and my declare to fame was dancing on the again of a flat-bed lorry in my wee kilt and many others because it was pushed via the city of Irvine in Ayrshire.
The nuns (lengthy story) have been terrified about the entire what does a Scotsman put on beneath his kilt factor and had a pair of underpants constructed from the identical tartan and heavy wool because the kilt. You don’t have any thought how scratchy this was on my tender under-parts. Excruciating.
3. The yr earlier than the pandemic I skilled as a Medical Hypnotherapist. I’ve at all times been concerned about different remedy and when the chance got here to coach on this modality I jumped on the likelihood. Most of my work, at the moment is with folks coping with anxiousness. For many individuals the world is a terrifying place proper now and with my work my purpose is to assist them get better some kind of equilibrium and re-engage in a significant method with their lives.
4. I’m an avid reader –Enid Blyton was my past love, and I graduated from there to C.S. Lewis, and Ursula Le Guin and from there to writers like Stephen King, Wilbur Smith, and Catherine Cookson. I’m positive the writing of individuals like Cookson is why I write the best way I do – tales about actual folks in making an attempt circumstances, albeit with car of the crime novel as a strategy to carry my characters’ experiences.
5. I used to be about eight once I tried writing my first novel – “all” these years of studying and I had ambitions of seeing my title on the duvet of a ebook. They are saying one of the best ways to be taught if you’re younger is by imitation – however maybe my first was somewhat too on the nostril, on condition that it was my model of Tarka the Otter. My subsequent try got here once I was in my early teenagers. This was across the time of Love Story and comparable films the place impossibly stunning folks have been dying of most cancers. Once more, imitation was my go – to, and I got here up with a premise the place a younger boy was decided to convey his mother and father again collectively earlier than he died from leukaemia. Regardless of what this may recommend I used to be a cheery wee boy. Trustworthy.
Submit supply: Feminine First